Thursday, 21 March 2013


While many may think they are prepared for a fire, there are different kinds of fires and not all can be put off in the same way. Though it is good to have fire extinguishers in the home, you can’t use any kind of extinguisher to put off electrical fire. Electrical fires are one type of fire that must be attacked in a precise way in order to put out the flames quickly and safely.
Only a Class C or E fire extinguishers should be used to put out electrical fires as it contains dry and powdery substance suitable for that purpose.
On classes of fire, Class A fires are when normal, combustible materials like wood, cloth, paper, and plastic ignite. Class B fires involve flammable liquids like gasoline, alcohol, diesel oil, oil based paints, and flammable gasses. Class C fires involve energized electrical equipment. (When an electrical appliance ignites). Read the basic Tips after the cut

It is essential to know some basic electrical safety tips:
• If there’s a heavy rain, avoid touching metal objects.
• Do NOT get in contact with an electrocuted person with bare hands or metals instead use a dry stick.
• Do not overload electrical sockets like connecting extensions to extensions to other extensions, thereby overloading the power source.
• Do not run electrical cords under the rugs or furniture, they can over heat and burn, which may aggravate and burn a house down. Also, constant stepping on the wire can cause it to wrinkle and in getting weak, expose the wire. Naked wires are dangerous.
• Do not put electrical cords against walls or across doorways to avoid electrocution.
• Do not dip your hand into boiling water connected to electric

• If an electrical fire breaks out in your home from a transformer, electric cooker, PHCN line, socket, etc, Do NOT pour water on the fire instead use a type C fire extinguisher or any powdery substance like baking soda to put the fire out. If you don't have one, smother the burning electrical appliance with a heavy rug or a blanket. You must NOT throw water on an electrical fire because even though it's unplugged, the residual current could give you an electrical shock.
• When cleaning your fridge, washing machine, micro-waves etc turn them off, it could electrocute you.
• Do NOT insert metal objects into sockets
• Do NOT place your hand on hot electrical appliances such as hot plate, electric cooker, iron, etc, to avoid burn and/or electrocution.
• When you perceive a burning smell from your appliances, ensure you call an electrician to check what the problem is.
• Don’t be your own electrician, do NOT tape your wire, it is dangerous, if damaged or naked, get another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...